What is the treatment for Vertigo, Nystagmus and Panic Attacks?

I'm XXXXXXX so I was diagnosed with vertigo around Christmas and since then a lot of things are harder to do because of anxiety. I have a history of anxiety and take celexa for my anxiety. I've been on meds for years. I'm usually a very happy person but have had a lot of panic attacks lately. since my vertigo has gotten better my eyes seem strained and even move back and forth when I'm not focusing on things. The doctors say it's nystagmus from the vertigo and it will go away in time. I have panic attacks when I start thinking about these issues then my eyes seems to get worse. I'm just scared am I okay?
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: Nystagmus and vertigo are related conditions Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. I understand that you have three different issues: 1. Vertigo 2. Nystagmus- visual difficulty 3. Panic Attacks Of these the first two are related to each other and ones the vertigo improves then the nystagmus will also go away. I am sure you are taking treatment for vertigo. In my patients I generally prescribe them Dizitac or spinfree which has betahistine as the main component. The more popular preparations are Vertin. Regarding the panic attacks. This is a disorder of anxiety and occurs cause of imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. especially serotonin, nor adrenaline, and dopamine to some extent. Medicines are the best options to take care of these symptoms. Citalopram is also a good drug t take care of panic attacks but it seems your symptoms are not very well controlled. Paroxetine is the the most popular medicine and my drug of choice. I generally prescribe my patients 12.5 mg per day at night which takes care of anxiety symptoms. Other medications for this illness are Mirtazapine, escitalopram, venlafaxine etc. Also certain medicines like propranolol and clonazepam can be give as required when there is a panic episode or expected situation where panic attack can appear. Also there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.