What is the treatment for Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease?
User rating for this question
Hello. I am wondering what is the proper treatment/medical dosage for someone who might have Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease. How long is the medical treatment?
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. The treatment depends of symptoms intensity, medicines reaction and how long the symptoms are present. In mild cases where the symptoms are occasional or not intense, body weight reduction (if obesity is present), sleeping with head a little bit raised, avoiding coffee, fatty foods, spicy foods, alcohol, chocolate, fruit juices can be sufficient treatment. If the symptoms are quite intense, Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) should be used in the dosages: Omeprasole 20 mg, Lansoprasole 30 mg, Pantoprasole 40 mg, Esomeprasole 40 mg or Rabeprasole 20 mg in a single dosage, taken in the morning, 30 minutes before a meal. One of mentioned medicines should be taken for about 8 weeks. After that time it can be stopped. However the risk of symptoms recurrence is about 80% so there might be a need to start the treatment again. In case of long lasting disease (like 10 years), or if the symptoms can not be eased with mentioned medicines, gastroscopy is necessary to rule out chronic inflammation or Barrets esophagus. Young persons can be also qualified to laparoscopic surgery (fundoplication). Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
People also viewed
- Why do i get a heartburn after cunnilingus
- Heartburn after implants
- Is it common to run a low grade fever with tendonitis
- Is it dangerous to quit smoking at 35 weeks pregnant
- Heartburn after crystal meth
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease diet
- What is the treatment for laryngopharyngeal reflux disease
- Is it bad to always sleep with earplugs
- Uncooked rice reduces acidity
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease causes
- Diagnosis of laryngopharyngeal reflux disease
- Is miconazole nitrate a antihistamine
- Is milk of magnesia alright to take on a lactose intolerant diet
- Heartburn after myomectomy surgery
- Treatment and cure for laryngopharyngeal reflux disease