What is the treatment for Knee Joint Pain?

Hi doctor, My mother has Knee Joint Pain,she is suffering a lot with that,Always she is doing Agriculture field work,So please help her to get relief from that.
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Calcium supplements and X-ray... Detailed Answer: Hi, It looks like she is suffering from osteoarthritis - a degenerative painful condition of knee which occurs during middle age. Perimenopause / menopause that causes estrogen deficient stage may be adding to the problem. The condition can be managed with conservative medicine and physiotherapy when it is treated early. Severe osteoarthritis will need knee replacements. Since she is able to perform her daily field works, I guess her condition is not severe. I would recommend you take her to an orthopedician at the earliest. She will need X-rays of the affected knee. MRI scan may be in order if needed. She will be advised pain medications and physiotherapy depending on her tolerance and severity. As you plan to visit a doctor, start her on calcium supplements. I prescribe tablet omnical 500mg once a day. Milk and calcium rich diet is important. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarification. Regards