What is the treatment for Grave's disease?

Endocrinologist
Question
Hi, we,I and my daughter, newcomers in USA and I'm looking for an endocrinologist for my daughter because we just had an experience with one which told us she should take nuclear medicine and to be always on some medicine all life. her results TSH 0.0031, t-4 1.51,t-3 5,9. My familiar doctors in S.-Peterburg, in Moscow said it is in her case. They use less XXXXXXX , more soft influenced medication. My intuition said they are right. Can you give advice about a doctor with another attitude and methods of work?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid Detailed Answer: There are essentially only 3 options to treat Graves disease: 1 Medication : called Methimazole. The alternative is called Propylthiouracil but it is not recommended except in first trimester of pregnancy 2 Radiation: it zaps the thyroid and most likely it becomes under active for life, requiring another medication called XXXXXXX thyroxine to be taken for life. 3 Surgery to remove the thyroid gland. This is done infrequently now as the first two options are fairly effective. You are free to see another endocrinologist but you will be offered the same 3 choices