What is the treatment for Grave's disease?
User rating for this question
Hi, we,I and my daughter, newcomers in USA and I'm looking for an endocrinologist for my daughter because we just had an experience with one which told us she should take nuclear medicine and to be always on some medicine all life. her results TSH 0.0031, t-4 1.51,t-3 5,9. My familiar doctors in S.-Peterburg, in Moscow said it is in her case. They use less XXXXXXX , more soft influenced medication. My intuition said they are right. Can you give advice about a doctor with another attitude and methods of work?
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid Detailed Answer: There are essentially only 3 options to treat Graves disease: 1 Medication : called Methimazole. The alternative is called Propylthiouracil but it is not recommended except in first trimester of pregnancy 2 Radiation: it zaps the thyroid and most likely it becomes under active for life, requiring another medication called XXXXXXX thyroxine to be taken for life. 3 Surgery to remove the thyroid gland. This is done infrequently now as the first two options are fairly effective. You are free to see another endocrinologist but you will be offered the same 3 choices
People also viewed
- Getting shivers from drinking
- Melanorm hc medicine is harmful
- Frequent bladder pressure frequent urge for urination taking antibiotics treatment
- Lisinopril and tsh results
- Pain during intercourse after changing iud cause
- Have lower abdominal pain nausea belching
- Tsh level is 8 during pregnancy doctor prescribed thronorm medicine
- What is the treatment for graves disease
- Iodine treatment for graves disease
- Treatment and cure for graves'disease
- What are the possible treatments for graves disease
- Blood test shows no atypical lymphocytes should i be concerned
- P90x increases testosterone
- What are the symptoms of graves' disease?
- Sore ankle swelling pain have colitis prescribed percocet your opinion