What is the treatment for Cushing's syndrome?

What is the treatment for Cushing?
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Medication, surgery, radiation, HRT

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

The treatment options available for treating Cushing's syndrome are the following:
-Medication: To reduce cortisol production (eg. mifepristone, ketoconazole, etc.)
-Surgery: If Cushing's syndrome has occurred due to the presence of a tumour, the surgeon might decide to remove the tumor from the pituitary gland
-Radiation therapy: If surgery is not sufficient in treating the tumor, this might/can be followed up by radiation therapy as well
-Removal of cause: Whether tumor or medication (eg. corticosteroids, etc.)
-adrenal gland, either before or after treatment can cause hormonal imbalances (eg. drug: hydrocortisone)

I hope this information has helped you. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

I wish you good health and nothing less.
God bless.