What is the time period to use misoprostol to abort pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Hi Doc i am a 24 year gal . I had sex wid my bf on16 Jan2014. my last mc date was 31st Dec 2013. I miss( ed my periods for the month of XXXXXXX ( supposed to be on 24-28 jan). I did pregnancy test which was positive. after that I took medicine as under : MPT Kit Cipla 1. Mifepristone 200mg on 7th Feb (Morning) 2. Misoprostol 20mg on 7th Feb ( evening) 3. Misoprostol 200mg on 9th Feb ( morning) (rest two misopostal tablets got misplaced.) but there was no bleeding after that :( please give me suggestion what to do now .... shall I take another MPT kit and till what time period i can use medicine to abort thid pregnancy
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: One ultrasound scan needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to HCM. Medicines can be used to terminate pregnancy of upto 7 weeks (legally allowed). One important thing before taking medicines is to confirm that pregnancy is in uterus itself & not elsewhere (especially tubes). You can do it by one ultrasound scan if not already done. If for any reason you are not able to do scan, you can buy misoprostol tablets (available in market) which are normally taken 400mcg (two tablets of 200mcg) orally/vaginally. (No need to buy expensive MTP kit again). Bleeding should start within 48 hours of taking those tablets. If bleeding doesn't start &/OR you experience severe abdominal pain/giddiness, its an indication to consult gynecologist & get scan done. Another option is to consult gynecologist & get the pregnancy terminated through D & C. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.

Follow-up: What is the time period to use misoprostol to abort pregnancy? 46 hours later
Hi Doc , as per your advice I bought misoprostol tablet ( from Sestoni combi pack) 200 mg tablets yesterday. I vomitted last evening 2 to 3 times , had fever in the nite. In the morning today I took Misoprostol(two tablets of 200mcg) tablets wid hot milk and fever medicine. Am feeling ok for now. could you please tell me wen the bleeding wud start or how do I know dat the tablet worked. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Bleeding should start in 48 hours. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Bleeding should start within 48 hours. If it doesn't start, you need ultrasound scan as already told. You can take tab paracetamol for fever if it recurs (it won't reduce efficacy of misoprost). If bleeding starts (& especially if you pass clots), it itself indicates tablets are working. Bleeding should last for 3-7 days depending on nature of flow for abortion to complete. You can confirm completeness of abortion through ultrasound. Regards.

Follow-up: What is the time period to use misoprostol to abort pregnancy? 44 hours later
Hi Dr As you Advised i take misoprostol tablet ( from Sestoni combi pack) 200 mg tablets on dtd. 12/2/14 at 09:00 AM. but Bleeding not started till date.i want also told medicine which i taken as under :-(Earlier data Mistake) I did pregnancy test which was positive. after that I took medicine as under : MPT Kit Cipla 1. Misoprostol 200mg on 9th Feb ( morning) 2. Misoprostol 20mg on 7th Feb ( evening) 3. Mifepristone 200mg on 7th Feb (Morning) (NOTED) (rest two misopostal tablets got misplaced.) after that as per your adviced 4. misoprostol tablet ( from Sestoni combi pack) 200 mg tablets(02 nos) on dtd. 12/2/14 at 09:00 AM please give me suggestion what to do now .... i m so tenced...plz help me

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Scan needed. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You need scan for location of pregnancy. Bleeding should have started by now with so many medicines. Kindly get one scan done. If pregnancy is not in uterus, consult gynecologist present there immediately. Regards.