What is the survival rate when suffering from squamous cell carcinoma in mouth?

Oncologist, Surgical
I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma 5 months back in my mouth in lower jaw next canine teeth. Was been operated then and the tooth and marginal bone was removed. After a month it was like metastasis in submandibular lymph node . Then again I was been operated and like 21 lymph nodes were removed from the neck area . The histopathology report was that only one node was involved. And now they tell me to go for radiation and chemo. My question is how much is my survival rate and how much radiation and chemo is needed for me.
Posted Mon, 17 Mar 2014 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: You could require radiation Detailed Answer: These cancers are generally locally disabling. That means they tend to recur in the same area or spread in local (near about the first disease in the mouth) and in the regional area (in the neck). They spread to other areas like lungs very late or never. Hence, local therapy becomes very important. You have to understand that a local cure would more or less mean total cure. Hence, you probably would require chemoradiation for better control. The exact duration, drugs used and radiation planning would be done by your local treating oncologist in consultation with the surgeon and the scan reports. The pathology report would also determine the therapy. It would be difficult to comment on the exact survival of any patient. However, the very fact that marginal mandibulectomy (part of jaw bone) has been done and only one lymph node has shown tumor is an indicator of possible better outcome.
Follow-up: What is the survival rate when suffering from squamous cell carcinoma in mouth? 35 minutes later
These are my reports
Answered by Dr. K. Harish 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You require adjuvant therapy Detailed Answer: The pathology of nodes show that the tumor has come out of the lymph node. You have been advised further therapy because of that