What is the survival rate and prognosis for aneurysms of aorta?

My mother 87 years old and a light smoker with mild hypertnsion. Recently xrayed for chest infection. Refered for CT scan with contrast Has just been diagnosed with a thoracic arch aneurism of 8cm. With such a large aneurism I feel sure surgery would be out of the question. What would be her prognosis and survival rate in terms of time.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: prognosis will be good Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. I appreciate the concern over your mother. Aneurysms of aorta are age dependent. They grow with age. At this age of 87, you are right, there is no logic in subjecting her to surgery. In your mother's case, I guess, the aneurysm was diagnosed incidentally. So, keep her hypertension well under control and ask her to quit smoking; the prognosis will be good as it is likely to remain like that unharmed. I am sure, she will lead a normal life. Hope I have cleared your doubts. All the best.