What is the suggested medicine for hair fall post pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I am 29yrs old, and i delivered a baby girl on Sept.13(4 month old) and my breast feeding is continue, since 1 month i am facing hair fall very severally, right now I am taking CALCIUM and iron tablet but still found no improvement. Kindly suggest us best medicine available for the above cause.
Posted Thu, 30 Jan 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 42 minutes later
Brief Answer: Telogen effluvium; Take B complexes Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to XXXXXXX As per your query you are suffering from hair fall since 1 month. After reading your query with diligence I can make out that you are suffering from the problem of "Telogen effluvium". TO tell you simply let me explain you some medical facts regarding this type of hair fall. We have a hair cycle divided into three parts: 1. Growing phase (Anagen): more than 85 -90 % of hair are in this phase 2. Senescence phase(Catagen): around less than 10 % of hair are in this phase and is the phase before falling. 3. Falling phase (Telogen ): a very few percentage of hair. We have almost 1 lac hair on our scalp and amongst them few percent of hair are in falling phase and then another 0.1% (around 50-100) of hair can fall everyday. In certain conditions such as long term illness or after delivery or any stressful event, some more of the hair may come in falling phase. These extra of the hair which comes in senescence are actually visible as falling hair. The reason for the acute turning of growing hair to telogen hair is due to the complete changes in body after pregnancy. Along with this there is more need of nutritional supplements due to feeding of baby. This starts any time after 3-6 months of delivery and remains for few month after its beginning. Now regarding the part of treatment: For the betterment kindly follow the suggestions below: 1. Eat at least 3-4 different fruits saplings per day. Every fruit is good but you can make a combination of sour with sweet fruits such as oranges, papaya and other of seasonal fruits. 2. Pulses are good source of proteins. So everyday have a small bowel full of mixed pulses. Add green leafy vegetables additionally in the pulses which contains lot of iron and vitamins in it. 3. Sprouts are the best source of fibers, minerals especially iron, vitamins and proteins too. so add it at-least alternate day if you can not make in every-day's part of meal. 4. Over night soaked and peeled almonds will give you good vitamin E which is good for the hair growth. 5. Milk and milk products should be included in every-day's schedule. 6.Do light exercises, reduce your stress as all these have bit impact on skin so also on scalp skin. If I were your dermatologist then would have prescribed you tablet containing Acetylcysteine, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium, Zinc, Biotin, Copper as active ingredients. You can take these vitamins in the form of biotin, calicium pantothenate and other vitamin B complexes whci are avaibale at your laocal palce (such as keraglow XXXXXXX H-vit forte or Essvit forte). Other than this an iron supplementation in diet and in tablet form is also helpful. All these things are quite helpful and are not harmful to your baby. Hope these informations will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: What is the suggested medicine for hair fall post pregnancy? 53 minutes later
NOW I AM TAKING ABOVE MENTIONED TABLET IF IT IS OK ? THEN I WILL ADD ESSVIT FORTE AS B COMPLEX, AND FOLLOW YOUR PRESCRIBE DIET THANKING YOU FOR YOUR KIND REPLY

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Kindly tell the name of the tablet you are taking. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your follow up. I am not able to get which tablet you are taking. Is it the iron tablet you are taking or the tablet containing Acetylcysteine, Calcium Pantothenate, Selenium, Zinc, Biotin, Copper. I would be most obliged if you can kindly tell the name of the tablet you are taking so that I can guide you best accordingly. "Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)

Follow-up: What is the suggested medicine for hair fall post pregnancy? 18 minutes later
THANK YOU DR. SAB, THE TABLET WHICH I AM TAKING IS CALONAT-D3, GLOBAC XT, BIOTIN TABLET 5MG AND AS PER YOU SUGETION I WILL ADD ESSVIT FORTE AND MY LITTLE WORRY IS IT SHOULD NOT HARM TO MY CHILD.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: All the mentioned tablets are totally safe Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your swift follow up. None of the tablets are harmful to your child. All the tablets are totally safe including Essvit forte also. While CALONAT-D3 contains calcium and vitamin D3, GLOBAC XT contains iron in it. Essvit forte contains all the essential elements, minerals and extra amount of biotin in it. These entire tablets are totally safe and are given in post delivery period. Important information to add is that calcium should not be taken with iron tablets. It is because of the simple reason that both iron and calcium if taken together get mixed and none of these are absorbed. So, if taken together these will have no benefit. Rather than taking biotin alone you can very well take essvit forte. My further suggestion is to take iron tablet when you are not taking milk or milk product (as milk contains calcium in it). Take Essvit forte along with iron tablet after any meal when you are not taking milk products. With good diet supplementation along with above suggestions you will get reduced hair fall in few months of period. All my best wishes to you. If you have any further queries I will be glad to help or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. For any future skin, hair or nail queries you can ask me directly at : bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia "Enjoy your time with your baby & Wish you good health" Regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology)