What is the suggested medication for sleeping problem?

Hi my name is XXXX have dificulty in sleeping what is the best sleep aid or drug recomended?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follow non drug strategy first. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Common causes of poor sleep which may present in your case are: -Poor sleep hygiene -Stress -Anxiety and Depression -Excessive caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea, chocolates, cold drink and many sodas) use Following steps and principles of sleep hygiene will help you in sleep: • It is better to fix a bedtime and an awakening time. The body "gets used" to falling asleep at a certain time, but only if this is relatively fixed. • Block out all distracting noise, and eliminate as much light as possible. It is better to request your sister for not to vacuum in night. • Avoid napping during the day. • Avoid caffeine 4-6 hours before bedtime. This includes caffeinated beverages such as coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate, so be careful. Also restrict total caffeine intake in a day. • Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4-6 hours before bedtime • Exercise regularly, but not right before bed. Regular exercise, particularly in the afternoon, can help deepen sleep. • Use comfortable bedding. • Find a comfortable temperature setting for sleeping and keep the room well ventilated. • Reserve the bed for sleep. Don't use the bed as an office, workroom or recreation room. Let your body "know" that the bed is associated with sleeping. • Practice relaxation techniques before bed. Relaxation techniques such as yoga, deep breathing and others may help relieve anxiety and reduce muscle tension. • Don't take your worries to bed. Leave your worries about job, school, daily life, etc., behind when you go to bed. Some people find it useful to assign a "worry period" during the evening or late afternoon to deal with these issues. • Establish a pre-sleep ritual. Pre-sleep rituals, such as a warm bath or a few minutes of reading, can help you sleep. • Stop alcohol or smoking (if present in your case) Follow these measures at-least for 1 month. If your problem still persist then non-addictive medicines like Agomelatine will be helpful for you, which you can after prescription from psychiatrist. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,