What is the suggested medication for getting sound sleep with insomnia?

Nov 2013

My mother is 71 years old she has diabetes. She is taking mirtapizine 7.5mg and XOLNOX 5 mg to help her sleep.She suffers from insomnia. Still she is not satisfied with her sleep.She keeps getting lots of confusing dreams all night, keeps waking up.Can't sleep properly. Which medicine can give her better and sound sleep without so many dreams. All medicines r not available in Pakistan so please let me know which medicine will be suitable. Please let me know what to do for her sleep disorder.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 14 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your mother's problems. She mainly has sleep disorder with confusing dreams. The best option for her would be either of the following: 1. STILNOCT (STILNOX)- ZOLPIDEM sustained release- It is usually given at a dose of 12.5 mg taken once daily before bedtime, 2. ZOLSOMA- A combination of zolpidem 10 mg and melatonin 3 mg. This can also be taken once daily before bedtime. 3. ZOLFRESH- ZOLPIDEM- Usually given as a 10 mg dose before bedtime. 4. LORAZEPAM- ATIVAN- Usually given as 1-2 mg once daily at bedtime. 5. DOTHIEPIN (DOSULPIN)- PROTHIADEN- Usually started at a dose of 25 mg once daily at bedtime, can be increased to 75 mg once daily. I have given these five options, so that you can check which of these are available in Pakistan (all these are available in India). I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: My BLOG: