What is the suggested medication for arthritic pain in foot?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have bone on bone chronic arthritic pain in my right foot at my ankle joint and throughout the foot. I am trying to ascertain what is the best medication to give me some relief. The foot is also fused with three pins and only has up and down movement now at the ankle (tibia) joint. I am currently on 25mg Durogesic 3 day patches and 300mg per day Lyrica which seem to do very little. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY I am also interested in knowing more about Ankle Replacements anything at all to relieve my pain
Posted Sat, 15 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: X ray and MRI and clinical examination is require Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. As per your history there can be arthritic pain in ankle joint or subtalar joint [which is fused by 3 pins] By doing X ray and MRI and clinical examination you need to rule out pain is occurring in ankle joint or fused subtalar joint. Till time you can use supportive splint or brace. You can take tab tramadol for pain relief, and chondritin sulphate will help in arthritic pain relief. Ankle joint replacement is good option if pain is arising from ankle joint. Due to fusion of subtalar joint there may be some difficulty in operative procedure but it can be done. Joint replacement will give pain free ankle movement. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care