What is the suggested blood pressure medication for irregular heart beat and kidney disease?

What blood pressure medicine do you recommend for me? I have irregular heart beats, abnormal heart rhythm, and kidney disease. I have been taking Losartan for a couple of years, but it is no longer effective. XXXX: YYYY@YYYY
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: I would recommend use of beta blocker Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern . If i see such a patient who have Hypertension with Kidney Disease , i would prefer using a Beta blocker or Calcium channel blocker. In case you are having early kidney disease with proteinuria , i would prefer using a Ace inhibitor like Losartan. Since in your case you are having irregular heart beat , I would personally prefer using a Beta Blocker like Metoprolol or Atenolol,which would monitor your pulse rate as well as blood presure. It would be better if you get yourself evaluated first for the cause of abnormal heart rhythm. It might be due to various arrythmias and might need addition of antiarrythmic agents. You might need evaluation like 24hr Holter , Echocardiography etc. to evaluate the cause. Hope it helps. kindly ask , in case of any clarifications . Dr. Kavita Paul