What is the solution to a septate hymen ?

My girl friend has recently visited a gynecologist who told her that she has a septate hymen. She was very worried about that, telling me that from what she understood, it seemed unclear, whether the septate hymen could be removed surgically in all cases or not.

Are there (rare) cases when a septate hyman cannot be removed surgically and sexual intercourse/giving birth would be impossible? Or is there a medical solution in (almost) any case?

Thanks for your answer!
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 minutes later

Septate hymen is a common occurrence and the most common problem seen with it is difficulty in inserting a tampoon or having sex. These are sometimes painful. But there is nothing to worry. Once you have a rough sex the thin tissue breaks off giving rise to a normal vaginal opening.

Septate hymen can be removed surgically in almost all cases. The pain is just like when you get your ears pierced. It is a common and simple procedure with no long term complications or problems seen.

There is no medical management for Septate hymen. It has to be a minor surgical procedure. The success rate is almost 100%.

I hope you have found my answer and recommendations to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional questions, I am available to address them.