What is the significance of moderate widening of the cortical sulci on CT?

What is the significance of moderate widening of the cortical sulci on CT 58 y/o female.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Hello and welcome,

Widening of the cortical sulci seen during a CT scan of the head is an age-related process considered normal when seen in individuals above the age of 50 years.

Although, once observed, the individual will have to be well monitored as these changes can, in time, result in conditions like Alzheimer's disease, etc.

I would thus request you to follow your doctors orders, and schedule regular follow-up visits with him/her to ensure that further progression of age-related changes can to a certain extent, be prevented.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write back to me with any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help.

Best wishes.