What is the side effects of taking sazo with hcqs. Is it safe to take methotrexate and Folvite?

I am 51 and taking sazo 1000mg with hcqs 200mg twice a day for past one month. Please tell future side affects of these. Further I have also been advised methotrexate 10 mg and Folvite 5 mg once a week. Please tell what are these medicines for and its side affects if any.
Please also tell how long should I continue with above medicine. Can the dose/ frequency be changed depending on the severeness of pain.
Posted Mon, 6 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 2 hours later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

Sazo(sulfasalazine) and hcqs(hydroxychloroquine) are drugs used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis.

Some minor side effects are headache,anorexia,nausea,vomiting,diarrhoea, abdominal discomfort etc.

With hydroxychloroquine, sensitivity to light, vision changes (e.g., blurred vision, seeing light flashes/streaks/halos), muscle weakness may occur. It is quite rare,but if it occurs it is serious and please visit your doctor immediately.

Methotrexate is a drug used in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. While on this drug it is very important to periodically check(as advised by your doctor) your blood counts,liver function and kidney function. Folvite (folic acid) is given along with methotrexate to minimise the side effects of methotrexate.

With advise from your treating doctor, the duration ,dosage and frequency of treatment with drugs can be reduced based on your response to the drug, duration of symptom free period etc.

Hope I have answered your query. Kindly get back to me if you have any further queries.

If you have no further queries,kindly accept my answer.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan