What is the sensation of lump in my throat?

Thanks so much! I've been having the sensation of a lump in my throat (around area at bottom of my neck) for about a week now. No other symptoms, no weight loss, and appear to be otherwise healthy (had annual physical in Dec and all my values were normal). I am female, 62 years old, former smoker (quit at age 42 and haven't smoked since), do drink wine fairly regularly. Am wondering if this could be a symptom of throat or esophageal cancer?
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not likely to be cancer. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The sensation of a lump in the throat that you have is usually seen due to swelling of the vocal cords; allergies; infections; acid reflux or anxiety. This can also happen due to a problem with the co-ordination of the muscles involved in swallowing. This is not likely to be related to esophageal cancer. In case the difficulty in swallowing is gradually increasing then do consult an ENT specialist for a detailed examination to find the cause. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What is the sensation of lump in my throat? 13 hours later
Many thanks, Dr. Tayal! I am beginning to suspect this may be due to some silk sheets/pillowcases I've been sleeping in for the past week, and that I may be allergic to. I bought these sheets in China years ago, and have used them off and on. Whenever I've slept in them before, I've always had horrible nightmares, and so stopped using. Since my partner thinks I'm nuts, I've tried them again, but think I'll stop again and see if the swelling goes down.. I also have some nodules on my thyroid, which my doctor has been monitoring (had an ultrasound about a month ago, and they had not grown). Could an allergy have caused them to swell, perhaps? thanks again! Inge Walther
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Allergy can cause this. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Allergy to the pillow covers can cause a swelling in the vocal cords causing the symptoms you are having. It is best to stop using the bedsheet and pillow cases and see if the sensation improves. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards