What is the root cause of Crohn's disease and how can it be treated ?

Dear Doctor, My age 32 since past years i am victim of Crohns Disease, In total i have taken 6 doses of INFLIXIMAB(Remicade) Still my disease is not in control....first six months after the doses i am able to toleerate every food. Not now. I am on azoran(azathioprine) and Mesacol 800(Mesalamine), My Doctors Well reputed in Country....But when will i have an end to the disease. Whats the root cause of the disease. I dont smoke and alchol once or twice a month(Beer or wine).
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

Thanks for query,

The cause of Crohn's disease is still unknown , but only theories exist to support the symptoms. The most accepted theory is that the body’s immune system reacts abnormally in people with Crohn’s disease, mistaking normal bacteria, foods, and other substances for being foreign. The immune system’s response is to attack these invaders. During this process, white blood cells ( defence cells ) accumulate in the lining of the intestines, producing chronic inflammation, which leads to ulcerations and bowel injury.A combination of environmental factors and genetic predisposition seems to form a base to the disease.

The above treatment can help control the disease by lowering the number of times a person experiences a recurrence and induce remissions , but there is no actual cure. Treatment for Crohn’s disease depends on the location and severity of disease, complications, and the person’s response to previous medical treatments when treated for recurring symptoms.

Even after knowing there is not established expectations about cure the goals of the treatment are :
1) induce remissions, 2) maintain remissions, 3) minimize side effects of treatment, and 4) improve the quality of life.

Remission is a time period in the course of disease where the disease is inactive and symptomless.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.