What is the role of magnesium in body?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have had a recent hispital stay due to MRSA, my kidnmeys started to shut down, i dweveloped a heart murmur, gthen had pneumonia. now my magnesium is low and i am on r pills a day of slow question why uis magnmesium so important anmd what function does it have in my body
Posted Mon, 2 Dec 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Magnesium has many roles. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Magnesium is vital for many functions of the cells in the body. It is needed for the correct functioning of hundreds of enzyme systems that control various biochemical reactions. These include protein synthesis, muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control, and blood pressure regulation. Magnesium also plays a role in the control of calcium and potassium levels which is important in nerve impulse conduction, muscle contraction, and normal heart rhythm. Adequate amounts of magnesium can be found in a normal, healthy diet and magnesium deficiency outside hospital is rare. I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. Regards, Dr K A Pottinger, MBChB FRCA