What is the right skin care regime for acne? Have combination skin.

I need help. I have bad acne and need answers I am 20 years old and have combination skin I think. I need help finding out the right skin care reg. I've tried Clearasil acne + marks, st Ives, neutrogena wave, and Walgreens blackhead clearing wash. I've wanted to try proactiv and skin id but I don't want to waste my money anymore
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Acne
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

I am afraid, the picture you have attached is too dark. Your acne are hardly visible.
Please attach a better and clearer picture.

As for the products you are applying, I would suggest you to stop everything and see a dermatologist for prescription medicines. Over the counter, cosmetic products do very little to improve your acne. Having hypothyroidism is an aggravating factor in itself.

I strongly suggest you to consult a dermatologist. In the meanwhile start clindamycin lotion 2-3 times daily ( But I dont think it is available OTC in the US).You will need to consult phyisician about this.

As for home regimen, use a mild soap free cleanser 2-3 times daily. Avoid too much cosmteic use ( like foundation, moisturizers, astringents, make up removers)

I hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: What is the right skin care regime for acne? Have combination skin. 10 hours later
could you give me an example of a mild soap free cleanser
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 20 hours later

You may use cetaphil cleanser. They are mild and helpful.

Thanks again for writing to me.

Wish you good health.