Ask a Urologist   »  

What is the required treatment for torn foreskin?

I think I may have partially torn my frenulum yesterday while getting frisky with my fiance. I was wearing pants at the time, which apparently put too much stress on the skin. As far as I can tell, the frenulum appears to be torn just below the corona, but only on one side of the shaft. There was no bleeding, and the affected area is red and stings to touch. I have applied antiobiotic ointment and the pain is not very much. Is this something that I should go to urgent care to get checked? Would treatment involve stitches or is the best course to just let it heal? Since it's a partial tear rather than a full tear, do I need to worry about future problems? Thanks.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
The only worry is bleeding. If it re-starts to bleed either spontaneously or during intercourse, medical attention is necessary. Otherwise, kindly apply antibiotic ointment two to three times daily FOR A WEEK and refrain from penetrative intercourse for a while - say 3 to 4 weeks.
This will let the tear heal well. If bleeding continues, circumcision may be necessary.
Hope this helps. Kindly get back for doubts if any. Wishing you good health.