What is the required treatment and cream to be used for fungal infection?

Poor

Question
Hi

Please can you look at the two picture and let me know what treatment to take and what cream to take
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 9 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for posting the query
I have seen your picture and it looks like fungal infection of the skin and nail of big toe. You will usually need to use an anti-fungal treatment like Ketoconazole ointment,Eumosone ointment that you put directly onto the affected area of your skin. These are known as topical treatments. There are a variety of treatments available in the form of creams, lotions, paints, shampoos and medicated powders like Abzorb powder. Anti-histamines drugs like Cetirizine can be use to control the itching if you have.

As you covers a large area of your skin and affects your nails, you may need to take some tablets like fluconazole. Your GP may also prescribe you tablets if you have used a topical treatment that hasn't worked.

Treatments for fungal skin infections are usually effective. Your rash may return, even if it seems to have cleared up. Treatment should continue for up to two weeks after the rash disappears. You may need to take some treatments for a few weeks, or up to 12 months for toe nail infections.

Certain precautions you have to follow to reduce the chances of reoccurrence are:
1. Dry your skin thoroughly after bathing and sweating.
2. Wash your clothes and bed linen frequently to remove any fungi.
3. Wear clean flip-flops or plastic shoes in damp communal areas, such as showers, saunas and swimming pools
4. Not share towels, hair brushes and combs that could be carrying any fungi
5. Alternate pairs of shoes every two or three days to give them time to dry out
6. Keep your blood sugar under control if you have diabetes

Consult your skin specialist for the prescription and some investigations like KOH to confirm the fungal infection. He can prescribe you the best treatment by clinical examination and investigations reports.

Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have any doubt. I will be happy to answer.
Best Wishes and have a good time.
Dr. Kulbir Singh

Follow-up: What is the required treatment and cream to be used for fungal infection? 4 hours later
an anti-fungal treatment like Ketoconazole ointment,Eumosone ointment

form of creams, lotions, paints, shampoos and medicated powders like Abzorb powder.

fluconazole tablets

Where can i gets this products from and i need to get it today. please give me shops in uk wembley area where i can go and get them

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 43 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for the follow up query
In UK you do not get these medications at the counter. You need a prescription from your General Physician. So please consult your doctor and get the medication. I appreciate that you are keen to get treated but you have to get an appointment by your GP.
Hope you will get it soon.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh

Follow-up: What is the required treatment and cream to be used for fungal infection? 3 minutes later
can you tell me what other creams i can get in uk

1) Lotrimin AF Athlete's Foot Cream or Lotrimin AF Jock Itch Cream
2) Canesten cream
3) Monistat 1 (tioconazole),
4) Baza and XXXXXXX antifungals (miconazole).

are any of the following creams good to us.

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks again
Yes you can use the above said creams for fungal infections. In my opinion Clotrimazole and tioconazole is best and effective. Use only one brand, multiple drug can cause harm unless your doctor prescribe you. Also, you have toe nail involvement you need to take oral medications as well. It is always better to take a medication under the guidance of your doctor. If any of the side effect like stomach pain, itching etc. occur, it can be treated.
Hope I have answered your query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh