What is the required diet for a Hepatitis E patient?

what is the diet for a Hepatitis E patient?My husband is 43 yrs and recently diagnosed with Hepatitis E. What diet he should follow
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Radhika 21 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

A hepatitis E diet includes:
High carbohydrate intake like Bread, pasta ,wheat,rice and grains
The increased carbohydrate helps in preserving the protein in the body and prevent muscle wasting.

Restrict your salt intake particularly when there are problems with abdominal swelling or leg swelling.

Take vitamin B supplements, particularly B complex vitamins which your doctor would have prescribed.

Avoid foods that are XXXXXXX in vitamin A like Egg yolks,Dairy products,Fish oil.

Wash hands well after using any washroom. Prefer to pick hot food and clean water. It is recommended to cook food at home. Drink only commercially bottled water or boiled water especially at places where sanitation and the water supply are unhygienic. Peel off raw fruits or vegetables before you eat.

Hope my answer is adequate. I will be available for follow up.
Follow-up: What is the required diet for a Hepatitis E patient? 21 hours later
Is protien XXXXXXX diet like, fish, chicken recommended at this point of time. What about oil with Omega 3.
Answered by Dr. Radhika 38 minutes later
Thanks for the query,

You can take diet containing fish ,meat and egg in adequate amounts ,but not in excess.
Protein is an important nutrient and it's absolutely necessary for good health. People with chronic hepatitis should be able to enjoy moderate amounts of protein without worry. As long as your liver is working properly, protein shouldn't be a problem. However, too much protein is bad for people with advanced cirrhosis .

But try to have a low fat diet and you can certainly use omega 3 fatty acid XXXXXXX oils.

Hope my answer is adequate , i will be available for follow up.