What is the remedy to avoid dryness and pain in nipples after breast feeding?

General Surgeon
hi my partner has just had a baby and is breastfeeding but her nipples are getting really dried out we are just wandering what the best thing would be to use on her nipples since she wants to continue breastfeeding also wandering if theres anything she can do to help her nipples from hurting when he gets put on her nipples thanks
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Coconut oil is ideally suited Detailed Answer: Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Being a Pediatrician Surgeon, I usually ask the mother's to apply coconut oil over the nipple. It is safe, serves the purpose of making nipple supple and soft, prevents cracking of nipple and the most important it does not harm the baby. I do not advise any commercial preparation. If there is no retraction of nipple and there is no cracking in areola then there seems to be no cause for concern. Wishing her a happy motherhood In case you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore Consultant Pediatric Surgeon