What is the remedy for white egg like substance in stools and constipation?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I am a 26 year old female 5' 5" and 111lbs; I follow a Paleo-like diet, eating fruits, vegetables and meat/fish- avoiding sweets, breads, dairy and legumes. 3 or less stools a week have been normal for me since I was a child. My concern is that for the past month my stools have been difficult to pass and is accompanies with egg white like substance intertwined. I also have been bloated with very little blood from straining-as I have also bee constipated-despite 1 hour of exercise daily. For the past few days, I have been taking Psyllium twice a day and have had two successful movements which were also still intertwined with the egg white like substance, one each day. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week- what are your thoughts and do you suppose that a colonoscopy is necessary? I am not aware of colon cancer in my family; my mother suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and had battled and survived cancer of cervix and uterus. I don'y smoke, drink or take recreational drugs- not even socially. Thanks
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ravi Rathi 21 hours later

Good to know that you are following a healthy diet.

After going through the description provided by you, I feel that the constipation along with mucus secretion(egg white as mentioned) present since last month could be because of motility of the gut and also in water absorption from the digested food.

I would suggest you see to go for Colonoscopy as advised by your doctor to confirm the cause and to follow the treatment accordingly.

Meanwhile follow these measures:
1. Continue with Psyllium.
2. Continue with the diet you are taking at present and please opt for more of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as these contains higher percentage of fibre in them.
3. Drink lots of fluids like water and fruit juices.
4. Avoid smoking and alcohol.
5. Continue with the exercises.

The symptoms would gradually reduce by following these measures and also depending upon the cause of constipation.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Regards.