What is the remedy for watery diarrhea with blood and mucus?

Hi, I am a 33 yr. Old female, 5'6 and 118 lbs. Yesterday afternoon I started getting body aches and chills and now I have watery diarrhea with blood and mucus???
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 13 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

What you have described is a fairly classic viral syndrome. This is also referred to as viral gastroenteritis. Symptoms range from early fatigue, fever, muscle and joint aches and diarrhea.

The diarrhea can be watery and also bloody at times. I recommend you do a few things at this point. First you must support yourself with good fluid and electrolyte
intake. The best beverage for this is regular Gatorade. It has water sugar and electrolytes which are all needed to combat dehydration. I am sure you feel quite run down right now and you are likely mildly dehydrated.

As for diet - stay bland. Eat small amounts of bread, rice, toast or applesauce. Do this for the next couple of days as you recover from the syndrome. If for some reason your condition worsens or does not improve within 48 hours then you need to see a physician. You could try using immodium only if you have not taken antibiotics within the last month. Use it as directed on the over the counter bottle.

I hope this answer has been both informative and adequate. Should you have additional questions I am available to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.