What is the remedy for unbearable tailbone pain due to coccyxdynia?

Hello, I am a 49 year old female, 132 lbs, 5"3'. I am diagnosed with coccyxdynia with posterior subluxation of the tip as the result of a fall three years ago. Recently started having SEVERE intermittent episodes of muscle spasm beside the left side of tailbone, can feel tight band at the site, any movement or tension to the left buttock induces the pain, which then I am unable to walk due to the pain. It feels like a "charlie horse" and if I lay down on my side for about 1/2 hour it will release. It hurts so bad I cannot even touch my skin at the site. I have had several ganglion impar injections but no relief to this part of the problem...........using NSAIDS, special pillows to sit. Also given muscle relaxers which I only take if I have multiple episodes in a day, getting out of the car, getting up from a chair, lowering myself to sit on the toilet. Having a BM or intercourse is also unbearable at this point as it throws me into spasm. I have been avoiding sitting at all lately as a result or I must lean to the right buttock to sit. Nothing seems to be helping at all. I have tolerated the tailbone pain for years but this is different and unbearable at times. Any suggestions
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 56 minutes later

I think at this point of time you should consider surgical management speaking a surgeon locally.

Typically, surgery is reserved for patients whose tailbone pain has failed to respond to
non-surgical management.

The surgical procedure is called coccygectomy. It is the surgery to remove the coccyx.

Tail bone doctors specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation at New Jersey Medical school have published that sometimes even just a single nerve block injection at the ganglion impar can give 100% relief of coccyxdynia when performed under fluoroscopic guidance.

But since you already underwent even ganglion blocks, I suggest you surgical management after discussing with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: What is the remedy for unbearable tailbone pain due to coccyxdynia? 1 hour later
This additional pain I have developed seems to be more ligament problem attached to coccyx. As it feels like a muscle spasm....not the tailbone itself. I respect your opinion in regards to surgical intervention. I have been advised the same by pain managment doc. Next question, what type of doctor specifically do I see to do coccyx removal surgery? It seems to be a not so popular diagnosis and I do not want a doctor who has never done this before. Can you provide which specialty I must seek out?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 19 hours later

Nice to see you again.

Since you were advised by doctor also to go for a surgery, it would be the better.

You can consult any orthopedician or spine surgeon.

They would have that expertise to do the surgery and need not worry.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you speedy recovery.