What is the remedy for throat pain and cough ?

ENT Specialist
I have a feeling of pressure in my throat and sometimes have difficulty swallowing and sometimes a bit of wha I have eaten seems to stick and comes back. I have an intermittemt cough
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

The foreign body sensation, difficulty in swallowing, feeling a sort of difficulty in breathing repeated clearing of the throat are all features of a condition called Laryngo Pharyngeal Reflux (LPR).

LPR is a condition caused due to reflux of the acid from the stomach into the throat. When the acid from the stomach comes up into the throat it causes inflammation in the throat as the mucosal lining of the throat is not the same as that of the stomach. The inflammation causes swelling in that region leading to foreign body sensation, sense of difficulty in breathing, tiring of the voice after speaking for few minutes, repeated hawking sensation, etc.

LPR happens more so on lying down leading to cough and respiratory distress. I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, avoid coffee, tea, oily food, alcohol, smoking and stress. And also, try to lie on the left side of the body rather than lying straight. Consult a good ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar