What is the remedy for swollen lymph nodes in diabetic patient ?

ENT Specialist
for last three years i have swollen lymph nodes just below my last teeth on the right side.and to a lesser extent on the left. i got an mri done at XXXXXXX XXXXXXX cancer institute three years back. but they didn't go for biopsy as the nodes were too small. i chew tobacco and drink too. these days the lobes which the food rubs while ingesting seem to be inflammed on the right side and hurts even if i swallow my own saliva. An ENT had got an x- XXXXXXX done which suggested enlarged hyoid bone. I am a 45 years old diabetic.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Dear Mr. P. K. Shrivastava,

Thank you for your query.

Small sub-centimeter lymph nodes are likely to be inflamed due to local infection (such as dental / gum disease) rather than cancer. There are approximately three hundred lymph nodes normally present in the head and neck region. They drain specific sites. Once inflamed, they remain enlarged and do not return to their original size (usually non-plapable or not felt on examination). These type of lymph nodes are common.

If your MRI was normal, and the submandibular salivary glands were normal, you can always follow up with an USG (Ultrasonography) Neck on a latest generation 4D scan machine with color doppler. If any lymph node shows sudden increase, eccentric cortex growth or circular shape and changes in vascularity and blood flow, you can easily do an USG guided FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) for an accurate assessment.

An enlarged hyoid bone is extremely rare. What is more likely is an elongated styloid process (Eagle's Syndrome) or hyoid bursitis. These conditions may explain your pain during swallowing as most of the throat muscles are attached to these structures. These conditions can be treated on their own merit. You may share your hyoid x-ray image. E-mail the image to doctor@healthcaremagic with 'Attn: Dr. Sumit Bhatti' in the subject line.

If you could stop chewing tobacco and alcohol your risk of developing cancer in this region would drop to that of a non-tobacco and alcohol user within five years from the cessation of tobacco and alcohol use.

As long as your diabetes is under control, it should not cause any complications. Please get a dental check-up done.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.