What is the remedy for swollen left leg while taking ciprofloxacin tablets for cellulitis infection?

General Surgeon
hi, a doctor prescribed me ciprofloxacin tablets,750mg to treat cellulitis infection, before I was given other antibiotics, none of them worked,augmentin875mg,diocloxacillin500mg and others pennincillin .my left leg on bottom is swollen and lumpy and other leg is lumpy, not too swollen but red and sore sore.they been sore and lumpy for over 6 weeks,i just started taking ciprol ,I am on my second pill. are there any solutions? thanks.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: To rule out venous and lymhatic oedema Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-magic Greetings of the day I encounter many such cases in my practise. Any long standing Oedema of lower limb especially if the signs of inflammation are not sure, one should consider other associated condition as cause of it or contributing factor for the symptoms and presentation 1. Lymphatic Oedema: Inflammation going on for long time, it either obstruction or destruction of lymphatic channel. It leads to impaired lymph clearance which may worsen the oedema due to cellulitis. Antibiotics alone wont help 2. Chronic venous insufficiency: Either superficial or deep venous insufficiency of lower limb may predispose to persistent oedema. If this is present, its unlikely yo resolve by antibiotics. 3. Chronic dermatitis/eczema I would suggest you to get Ultrasound and colour doppler scan of venous system in consultation with your physician to rule out venous insuffieiency as the cause of persistent oedema. If venous insufficiency is ruled out as the cause , its likely to be due to asscoiated lymphangitis and lymphatic oedema. It will require following measures 1. Limb elevation while sleeping by placing 2 pillows under the calf 2. Graded compression bandage or elasto crepe bandage, 3. Limb massage From this point, management depends on condition of limb and severity of oedema/inflammation which can be assesed by goo clinical examination. I hope it helped. In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best regards Dr Deepak K k MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon