What is the remedy for swollen an Painful knee cap?

Jun 2015

My knee swells up on the left side of my left knee cap. Making standing and walking for long periods pretty uncomfortable. Also I cannot fully bend my left knee completely. There is definitely a swelling almost like fluid in my knee. I have not injured my knee at any time and I am constantly on my feet or being active. I am still able to ride bikes and be active without concern. certain positions and pressure on my knee are painful. As well as sitting for long to periods and rising quickly. Pain is always anywhere from the knee cap to the back of my top calf.
Posted Fri, 20 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Ice+analgesics+muscle relaxants Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Regarding the symptoms as mentioned in your post, kindly let us know about the following: 1. Since how many days are you having the symptoms? 2. The symptoms started gradually or all of a sudden? 3. Is there any significant past history of systemic disease like Diabetes, Hypertension, Thyroid disorder, etc. ? 4. Any history of prolonged intake of certain medications? 5. Habit of smoking or alcohol consumption? 6. Kindly mention your age. In absence of any trauma/injury, the swelling in knee can be attributed to accumulation of fluid due to secondary knee condition like Osteo arthritis. Investigation like X ray of the knee joint will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis. Symptomatic relief can be obtained by application of ice to the affected area, intake of analgesics like Diclofenac (to be taken after food) and application of analgesic & muscle relaxant gel. You can also include supplements of Calcium & Vitamin D in your diet which will help in strengthening of bones. There is no need to worry, you will be fine. Till then, maintain adequate hydration & nutrition status, take proper rest and avoid stress. Wishing you a Good Health. Take care.