What is the remedy for stomach cramps with diarrhea ?

5 days ago i had food poisening/stomache bug with vomiting, fever and diarrhea. The vomiting and fever stopped, however i still have stomache cramps and diarreahea as well as feeling bloated. I am drinking lots of water
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 37 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

Sometimes with a gastrointestinal illness you can take several days for your body to get back to normal. It is not surprising that you still have some bloating and cramping at this point. I would advise you to really try to keep up with your fluid intake. The best type of fluids to drink in this case would be things that have both water as well as sugar and salt. Something like Gatorade comes to mind. There are also other brands of fluids such as Pedialyte.

With a gastrointestinal illness the bad bacteria can sometimes overrun the good bacteria in your gastrointestinal tract. When this happens the diarrhea occurs. Right now your body is in the process of restoring the good bacteria.

I would suggest that if for some reason your symptoms do not improve significantly within the next 48 hours that you consider visiting with your antibiotics. I really suspect that your body will return back to normal within the next 48 hours.

Thank you again for your query. I appreciate the opportunity to help you today. I hope my response has been both adequate and informative. I am available for your follow-ups.