What is the remedy for slight pain in both sides of abdomen during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
Hi DoctorI am in 7th week of 1st Trimester. Everyday I used to have slight pain to my both sides of abdominal(kind of streching/cramp) and sleepy whole day long. From yesterday I am no more having the sense of that pain neither feeling much sleepy. What can be the reason for the same. I am worried. I have my scanning after 4 days,cant wait till then to know that I am fine. Earlier I have asked a question for which you have replied and suggested that I can get in touch with you in future for any queries: WWW.WWWW.WW
Posted Tue, 24 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Brief Answer: NORMAL SYMPTOMS , DO NOT WORRY. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Hope you have been fine ! It is nice to hear from you again, and yes, I will happily guide you in this regard also. See, as I told you in the previous query also, as the pregnancy advances, the uterus slowly grows in size. In the second trimester, it comes out of the pelvis and becomes an abdominal organ mostly. As the uterus grows, it presses upon the surrounding nerves, muscles, ligaments of the pelvis, thus leading to feeling of stretching and mild discomfort and pain in the flanks. Also, the pregnancy hormones being secreted make you feel tired and sleepy, with excessive fatigue. However, as the first trimester progresses, and you near the 10 th - 12th week, the body starts adapting to these changes. The muscles and ligaments start getting lax under the effect of the pregnancy hormones, thus becoming pliable and they start accomodating the size of the growing uterus. Thus the pain and discomfort often lessens . Also, the body adjusts to the pregnancy hormones, and you start feeling better, well, and more energetic as the first trimester comes to an end. WHat you are feeling are most normal changes, and do not worry at all. As you have a scan coming up in 4 days, you will also now be able to see the well formed baby with the heartbeat . This will further reassure you. Just ensure that the scan is done vaginally, as abdominal scans will have obscure details and will lead to anxiety if proper visualization is not done. ALso, continue taking the medications as advised. You are having no alarming symptoms such as abdominal pain / bleeding / spotting - so do not worry. All the other symptoms are part and parcel of the normal pregnancy process, and as the pregnancy grows, you will find newer experiences which will surprise your body and mind ! I can understand your natural apprehension, but in the absence of high risk symptoms ( vaginal bleeding and severe pain ), do not stress out or think negative. Just enjoy your pregnancy, as it is a once in a lifetime experience. For any doubts and queries, I am always present, and you have the link provided. Here it goes again - WWW.WWWW.WW Do let me know the scan report also. You are perfectly fine, and do not worry otherwise. All the best. Please feel free to ask for any further clarifications in this regard.
Follow-up: What is the remedy for slight pain in both sides of abdomen during pregnancy? 1 hour later
When you say as scan to be done vaginally, what does it mean? 2 Weeks back I already had a scanning and next week i again have scanning. This time I was told to take Ultra-Sound scanning, last time it was something else,where they placed the cord inside to see-through.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again XXXXXXX See basically an ultrasound scan is done during pregnancy to look at the baby within the uterus. It can be done in two ways - one is vaginally, where the ultrasound probe ( long white stick like object with a cord ) is inserted inside the vagina. The second way is abdominal, where the probe is placed on your lower abdomen. The uterus is a pelvic organ in the first trimester. Details of the uterus with the baby inside, are best seen when the scan is done vaginally during the first trimester. Later on, as the pregnancy advances, abdominal scan will give better view. All the best.