What is the remedy for shaking due to extreme cold?

Dear Doctor, My husband came from cleaning his car from snow only about 20 minutes. He came inside he cannot stop shaking and he says he feels extremely cold he cannot warm up. I have put blankets on him, gave him something hot to drink and some fruit. He has no diabetic issues ever reported.
Posted Sun, 29 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: no cause of concern if the temperature is above 37 Detailed Answer: Namaste Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Individual especially after age of 50 years have decreased shivering capability which causes them to have decreased heat production which usually occurs due to shivering( shivering thermogenesis). Measure his body temperature and if it's above 37°c then there is no cause of concern. Keep him covered with multiple blankets and warm fluids will slowly reduce his symptoms of coldness. I hope it helped If you need any further assistance will be glad to assist you Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Follow-up: What is the remedy for shaking due to extreme cold? 11 minutes later
It has taken an hour to warm up this has never happen, he has always cleaned the car when it snows and was well covered with boots, coat and gloves anything else that could happen when you are that cold in temperature.
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: Unlikely to be cause of concern Detailed Answer: Greetings There does not appear to be anything significant if his temperature is normal, no localised weakness, or palpitations. If you have a home glucometer, would suggest you to do a spot sugar level done. Rest be assured everything is alright Take care Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD