What is the remedy for poison ivy allergy?

Hello, I am 54, 5 ft 10, 185 lbs. I have no outstanding medical conditions. I have recently come in contact with what I thought was just a vine but turned out to be poison ivy. I have some patches on my body but they seem to be only minor, and manageable, but my real cause of concern is that it has now spread to my face and especially my eye area. My eyelids and under the eyes are very swollen and it feels like I have a bad sunburn. I have taken benadryl and have been applying cool compresses with soft paper towels. It gives some relief but since it is affecting my eye area I am concerned on if I should ride it out or see a physician or go to the emergency.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 30 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Poison ivy is a poisonous plant and the liquid inside can cause itching and allergic reaction in some individuals leading to anaphylaxis reaction.

Since it has spread to the eyelids and under eyes it is better to rush to ER so that immediate treatment can be given and you are under observation.

Meanwhile apply calamine lotion on the exposed areas.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.