What is the remedy for my child suffering from constipation?

I have a 14 days old baby girl who is on Lactogen 1 for the past week. The baby has constipation for more than 36 hours. What is the remedy? Somebody suggested gripe water, is it advisable?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sudha Shree Venkataraman 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Exclusive breast feeding will help. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to health care magic. Constipation and all tummy related problems are common and will keep happening when the baby is on formula feeds. So if possible, try to put the baby only on breast feeds till atleast 4 to 6 months of age. Please check the way the formula is being prepared. Dilution should be correct. 30 ml of water should be mixed with 1 scoop of powder. If the proportion of milk powder is more and water is less, then constipation is more commonly seen. If the baby is on breast milk also, try to avoid formula milk and feed her with breast milk alone frequently. If the baby is on formula milk alone, try to increase the feeds (frequency and amount in each feeds if possible). You may try this for a day or two. If she does not pass stool even after increasing the feeds, its better to get her seen by a Pediatrician who will give you stool softeners like Lactulose. Please do not start these medications without having your kid seen by a Pediatrician. I would like to emphasize again that exclusive breast milk till 6 months is the best for your baby. Regarding Gripe water, it is given mainly for digestion and colic and we pediatricians do not recommend them. Hope I have answered your query. Please do get back if you need further assistance. Best wishes.