What is the remedy for itchy white patches on my arms and legs?

I woke up a week ago itching like crazy with white raised patches on my arms and legs. I don't think its an allergic reaction as I haven't used anything new, what could this be? Someone suggested a fungal infection as I use tanning beds, however antifungal creams have provided no relief and this does not seem to be getting better. My Dr. had no idea, just said it could be an allergic reaction and prescribed me Allegra, which has not helped, nor has the benedryl that I've been taking. The spots fade throughout the day but still itch, and when I wake up in the morning the spots are back. As a side note, I also have a swollen tonsil with white patches. I was tested for strep, mono, and had blood work done but everything was fine. Please help!
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Itchy skin specially on forearms, hands and legs with small patches are suggestive of three main possibilities-

1. Scabies- it is a bug infestation and the main symptom is itching. An examination by dermatologist will help in the diagnosis. Recurrence is common, if not treated properly.
2.Allergy- may be to a food item you consume very often like gluten sensitivity. Try to remain on a gluten free diet for a few days and see if it gets relieved.
3. Eczema- Again itching and dryness causing the itching. An examination from your dermatologist will confirm the diagnosis and will prescribe the drugs best for you. Many a times it has got seasonal associations also.

Meanwhile you can apply calamine lotion and a steroid(cortisone) based antiseptic cream on the area for symptomatic relief.

The tonsils with white patch are commonly due to infections or due to deposits of mucus or may be some blocked glands with tonsiliths. Only an examination by an ENT surgeon will help in diagnosis.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.