What is the remedy for gerd when on prilosec?

Yes please. I have gerd since early dec 2013. Been taking Prilosec 20mg daily. Not working. Have had a egd and my eshpogus strecthed because it feels as if someone is choking me and my chest burns. What can I do? I have tried everything OTC. I have even tried XXXXXXX cider vinager please help.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 58 minutes later
Brief Answer: Change your lifestyle... Detailed Answer: Hi, thank you for posting. To treat Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) you should change your lifestyle by: - Losing weight. - Quit smoking if you smoke. - Avoid alcoholic drinks, coffee, and milk. - Eliminate chocolate, spicy foods, acid foods and animal fat. You should also sleep with 2 pillows. In those cases Nexium(Esomeprazole) 20mg 1 pill twice a day is used. This medicine is used 30 minutes before meals. It is used from 6-8 weeks. In your case Nexium is the best medicine because it has minimized side effects. When in crisis it is recommended for the patients to use Maalox (Aluminum hydroxide 225mg, magnesium hydroxide 200mg; per 5ml) 10ml three times a day. The use of this medicine is dependent on patient health condition. These medicines are used together. I recommend you to contact a gastroenterologist. Dr. Behar.