What is the remedy for gastroesophageal reflux disease and aerophagia?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi Best wishes of the day. I feel belching whenever waking up from the bed or getting off the chair, or even touching my chest, or moving my hands, or moving my neck, or while driving in a unevenly developed road. I am experiencing this issue since 6 months. Now it has been reduced to 80% due to home remedy. Now gradually getting in good shape. The problem started when I took NONI Fruit juice to replace pain killer for chest muscle pain and COSTOCHONDRITTIS. And applying anti muscle pain cream on the chest. Took general checkup like blood pressure, urine test, ECG and Abdomen & Chest X ray. The report was good and there wasn't any issues. The Doctor gave PAN D and GANATON 10 for some month, which never worked properly. So I took home remedy like ginger water with fennel seeds(every day) and Green tea, twice a day. Its working good now. I avoided vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, beans, and broccoli, Daal, Milk, fruits, junk food etc. Would you tell me the remedy and how long it will take to cure? Thank you.
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting your query. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you. You have signs and symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease and aerophagia. In GERD the stomach contents reflux back in to the food pipe causing symptoms like heartburn , belching , nausea etc. In addition to medications, lifestyle and dietary changes are important for relief. In addition to the food items you have mentioned, you should also avoid coffee, citrus, chocolates, oily/spicy/fatty food, onion, garlic. Avoid eating full stomach. Eat multiple smaller meals instead. Go to bed at least 2-3 hours after food. In aerophagia, excess air is swallowed which is let out as a belch. The most common cause being mouth breathing which could be due to either anxiety or nasal stuffiness. I would advice you to follow a stress relief method like meditation for good relief. You also need to eat slowly and chew properly. Eating in a hurry can lead to swallowing of excess air which can lead to the symptoms you have. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini Velammal Hospitals Mugappair

Follow-up: What is the remedy for gastroesophageal reflux disease and aerophagia? 40 minutes later
Hi Thanks for your reply. How long it will take to cure if I follow your mentioned diet? Still I have little chest pain. Is it because of belching? Reason for asking this question is, I am a gem hitter, pain happened on the chest due to dumbbells, which turned into Costochondritis and muscle pain. Will it come to normal only if belching is completely stopped?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, At least 8 weeks of medication and lifestyle changes required for relief. Since you have costochondritis also, you need to treat that also for complete relief. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: What is the remedy for gastroesophageal reflux disease and aerophagia? 1 hour later
Hi I would like to know the pain difference between Costochondritis and gastro pain on the chest. Would both occur at same place? In the X ray report, there is no symptoms of costochondritis. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 days later
Brief Answer: Detailed answer given below Detailed Answer: Hi, Costochondritis causes pain at the junction of the ribs with the breast bone. The pain increases when you cough and if you take deep breaths. There is no specific diagnostic test. xray wont show anything. Only clinical examination helps in diagnosis. On the other hand GERD pain is mostly behind the breastbone. Deep breaths and coughing does not increase the pain. 24 hours pH monitoring test and response to antacid medications confirms the diagnosis. I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr.Ratnakar Kini