What is the remedy for gastric problem?

Diabetologist
Question
Sir, I am XXXXXXX Ukirde age 45 years. Since last six months, I am having a gastric problem and loose motion and not being controlled by antiboitic. After consultation to Gastroenteritis, then had a colonoscopy but Dr said report is normal, diagnosed IBS and then with the medicine the loose motion stopped for approx three month. Then again started and consulted at Asian Institute of Gatroentroloy Hyd and had endoscopy found H Pyroli positive and Dr prescribed Pentacid DSR morning once, Normaxin twice daily morning and night, Econorm capsule one daily after food and Lactihep Syrup 20ml night after food. Even after one month, I am going to toilet twice or thrice daily sometime more not getting the relief. Pl suggest and advice me.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Giving suggestions Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Ukirde. I am Dr Saumya Mittal. And I will try to help you with your query. I have reviewed your reports. I think you have IBS-D with H Pylori induced Duodenitis. And I have come to the following conclusions which you should discuss with your doctor- 1. You should stop Lactihep. This contains Lactulose and is in fact given in people with constipation. You have diarrhea, so this should be avoided. 2. Pantocid DSR should be changed to plain Pantocid, unless you have nausea or vomitting 3. You should start Isapghula husk. This is useful in IBS patients, in both constipation as well as diarrheal patients.It gives more consistency to stools. 4. You should start antibiotic Rifaximin, for IBS as well as H Pylori (instead metronidazole) 5. Econorm you can continue. Avoid foods rich in fat and fructose. 6. Talk to the doctor about starting the full spectrum of anti H Pylori treatment. 7. Get stool test done for Clostridia difficile. Also an FBS and TSH 8. Normoxin may be avoided if you have no pain I think if you follow the advice, you will feel better. In case you have further queries, feel free to ask a follow up query. Best of luck Dr Saumya Mittal

Follow-up: What is the remedy for gastric problem? 1 hour later
Before passing stool or in case of gas, there is little pain in lower abdomen and feel hurry to pass stool and after passing the stool, then stops paining. Since one month before when this medicine was started the motion frequency was twice daily but stool was liquid. In between I have stopped normoxin tablet for two days. two days there was once or twice the frequency of motion, but then on third day motion was started and it was 4 times up to noon, then after taking normoxin noon and evening and one econorm in noon, it was stopped and now the motion two times in the morning but the stool quality is still liquid. Pl give advice.

Answered by Dr. Saumya Mittal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Answering the query Detailed Answer: A mild pain in the abdomen will continue. Thats a part of the syndrome IBS. If its tolerable, avoid it else you can have painkillers. I personally dont prescribe too many painkillers as they have negative renal side effects. As for loose stools, I have already said that as per me, you should stop lactulose. It is going to cause loose motions further. Try Isapghula husk instead.And change from Pantocid DSR to Pantocid 40. The former has domperidom, which also increase bowel motility, thereby contributing to the loosestools. Try Rifaximin for long term. This is the only antibotic recommended in IBS. And avoid food that is fermenting in nature, namely fatty food and fructose containing food. I hope following this advice will help you. I stand by what i said previously. The points you need to discuss with your doctor. On the cost of repetition, I will mention them again- 1. You should stop Lactihep. This contains Lactulose and is in fact given in people with constipation. You have diarrhea, so this should be avoided. 2. Pantocid DSR should be changed to plain Pantocid, unless you have nausea or vomitting 3. You should start Isapghula husk. This is useful in IBS patients, in both constipation as well as diarrheal patients.It gives more consistency to stools. 4. You should start antibiotic Rifaximin, for IBS as well as H Pylori (instead metronidazole) 5. Econorm you can continue. Avoid foods rich in fat and fructose. 6. Talk to the doctor about starting the full spectrum of anti H Pylori treatment. 7. Get stool test done for Clostridia difficile. Also an FBS and TSH 8. Normoxin may be avoided if you have no pain I hope this helps. Please do feel free to ask any further query. I will be happy to help Dr Saumya Mittal