What is the remedy for flank pain in my back?

General Surgeon
Hi, I'm having right flank pain,somtimes from right midback to just behind my neck on the right side for about 8 days or so.Pain is dull to sharp,increases with deep breath,sudden movement,and decending stairs.Have been taking ibuprofen with some relief,but it is consistent and is definitely getting worse.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Is there any cough? Do you smoke? Have you had any chest trauma recently? Such symptom indicate muscle, rib or nerve issue. All 3 things do move when breathing. Spine nerve compression in the close area can give such symptoms. Other possible reasons are rib fracture (if there was any trauma), muscle pain (if you cough a lot), pneumothorax (if the pain has appeared suddenly) or rib nerve compression. Depending of the possible reason, you should have chest X-ray (to rule out pneumothorax), ribs X-ray (if there was any injury recently), spine MRI (in case of spine problems). Ibuprofen is a good anti-inflammatory treatment. Please continue it. Hope this will help. feel free to ask further questions. Regards.