What is the remedy for fecal incontenance after a recal colon resection?

General Surgeon
I had a recal colon resection 5 yeas ago. Sine then I hav had fecal incontenance. I have hade the theropy and now have an interstem device but nothing has worked are there any other things that can be done to help my condition? I've been told if I choose to do another surgry i hae a 50/50 chance that it may become worse
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. It all depends of the reason of your stool incontinence. If you have had rectal cancer and you have had anterior resection, most probable reason is nerves injury during the surgery. If the junction were done very low (close to the rectum sphincter muscle), also muscle injury is possible. There is plenty of different ways to help with stool incontinence including simple sphincter suture, special pump insertion (artificial bowel sphincter) and interstem device. Unfortunately no matter which method you choose, the chances to make it work for you are no more than 60%. And you may reach the point where colostomy will be the best solution for you. Stool incontinence treatment is a very hard thing and needs to be done by an experienced in this condition surgeon. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: What is the remedy for fecal incontenance after a recal colon resection? 32 hours later
Since the interstem did not work for me and yes it was anterior resection very low. We have been trying to find a dr. the specializes in this but have not been happy with the dr.s we have found. Would you be able to suggest the best place to go for this contion?? Location does not really matter I just want a dr. that will take the time to analyze the problem
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: There is an organisation in your country called International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders (see link Maybe they can help you. Regards.