What is the remedy for clogged ears?

Dec 2012

I developed a severe respiratory infection on 12/29/13. That day flew from Minneapolis to San XXXXXXX Both ears plugged. used typical home remedies....cough syrup, heating pad, fluids. It is now 3 weeks later and left ear is clogged with fluid. I can barely hear out of that ear . Tinnitus has increased. today is a holiday. Is my best option to go to an urgent care since all MD offices seem to be closed for holiday.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: You may require a course of antibiotics Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX Sometimes, people (especially the very young and the elderly) with respiratory tract infection can suffer from acute ear infection or acute otitis media which occurred due to spread of bacteria through blood pathway from the respiratory tract (especially the upper). If you had respiratory tract infection which was not effectively treated with indicated antibiotics (if the causative germs were bacteria), this might have spread to the ears, thereby leading to ear infection. If this is the case (which should be confirmed upon physical examination by your doctor at the emergency room), you will require a course of antibiotics for about 5-7 days with additional antiinflammatory. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah