What is the remedy for calf pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I've had calf pain for 4 wks. from what I thought was statin reaction, which I had before in 2007. My Dr. thinks I have a neuromuscle disease, such as ALS, MS MD. wants to do a muscle biopsy. what do you think? wants me to have a muscle biopsy. What do you think?
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Other causes need to be ruled out first. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. For the calf pain the possibilities can be- 1. If the pain increases on walking it indicates a vascular problem most likely.The pain may be caused by claudication caused by peripheral arterial disease (PAD), narrowing of the arteries that carry blood to your leg muscles. 2.Peripheral neuropathy- This can occur from direct nerve irritation or from a medical illness like diabetes, thyroid imbalance, etc.Chronic illnesses like alcoholism, cancer, and vitamin deficiencies may also result in nerve pain that often affects both legs. There are some illnesses that cause leg weakness that may be associated with complaints of leg pain, like Guillain-Barré syndrome and multiple sclerosis or ALS. 3. Muscle pain: Muscle pain or myalgia is a common cause and may be due to overuse (mild trauma) or associated with the generalized aches and pain of an infection. It can also happen due to side effect of medicines like statins. 4. Muscle cramps: Muscles may cramp, causing significant pain. This may be due to a lack of stretching or an imbalance of electrolytes in the bloodstream. You need to get your serum sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium levels checked. All the above causes need to be ruled out first with the help of proper investigations before going for a muscle biopsy. Usually the mild pain can be well controlled with oral muscle relaxants and hot fomentation and some stretching exercises of the legs. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL