What is the remedy for breathing problems?

General Surgeon
My daughter just 20 days old and she feels sometimes hard to breathe due to cough problem. I think it may be due to cold weather. We completely cover our daughter with blanket, but most of the time she feels not good and takes breath very hard. Additionally she cries a lott at the night, so what is the reason of that.
Posted Thu, 6 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Look for adequacy of feeds. Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Being a Parent myself and a Pediatric Surgeon, I come across many parents with similar complaints. Normally a new born respiratory rate is higher than that of adults but less than 60 respiration per minute. If the baby fulfils the following things then there is no reason for worrying 1. Respiratory rate less than 60/minute: you can easily count it by having a look at chest movement. One movement outward and one movement inward is counted as one respiration. 2. Accepts feeds well: the child is sucking breast well and sleeps for at least 2 hours after feeds . It implies adequate sucking by baby and adequate quantity of feeds . 3. No other signs of respiratory distress and sleeps comfortable. 4. No fever 5. No retraction of chest inwards while breathing normally. Continue covering the child and exclusive breastfeeding Child usually cries for the following reasons 1. Hungry : excessive crying and child not able to sleep for minimum of 2 hours after feeding , provided the diapers are not wet is usually due to inadequate feeds 2. Wet child: baby usually cry if they need a diaper change after passing urine or stools. So look for it 3. Presence of diaper rash 4. Non specific abdominal colic Babies have their own sleep rhythm, some prefer sleeping during day and some during night. If the baby is sleeping for minimum of 2 hours after feeds then there seems to be no cause for concern.also look for above mentioned things. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon