What is the remedy for bloody stools?

ENT Specialist
My husband started having bright red blood in the stool yesterday. The first stool was strained. There is no pain except some irritation around the anal region. It is a lot of blood in the stool. It has continued this morning. We are not sure if he needs to go to the ER or if he can wait and call his doctor in the morning.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 58 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for the query.

Bloody stools is described as desentry. The causes could be:
1- amoebic dysentry-- commonest cause.
2- giardiasis.
3- norwalk virus diarrhoea.

In your husband's case, the blood in stool is acute in onset that is from yesterday, and it is associated with pain. Hence amoebiasis is more likely.

What you will have to do now---

1- Drink plenty of water.
2- Eat hygienic food, and try to take soft diet.
3- Avoid junk foods.
4- Take mineral and vitamin supplements.
5- Oral Rehydration therapy is beneficial. You may prepare this at home by mixing a glass of water with a pinch of salt and tablespoon of sugar.
6- Stool tests and oral antibiotic use may be necessary. You may get the tests done under guidance of a family physician or the doctors at the ER.

The symptoms is expected to improve with proper antibiotics in 5-7 days. So do not worry.

Hope my answer is helpful to you. I will be able to answer your future follow ups.

Follow-up: What is the remedy for bloody stools? 2 hours later
This is his 5th stool in 48 hours and it appears normal. Can he skip the ER and just call his physician in the morning?
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 1 hour later

Thanks for getting back to me.

IN amoebic dysentery, even 5-6 episodes in 48 hours are normal, even in many patients it can be 9-10 episodes in 24 hrs.

So, don't worry, just follow the primary treatment as advised. and call your doctor tomorrow.