What is the remedy for and constipation and gas due to gall bladder removal?

My gallbladder has been removed and now I am constipated with a terrible gas bile smell. What can I eat to get through this. The smell is out of control and smells like cabbage.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ravi Rathi 17 hours later

Based on your description, I feel Cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal procedure) you had in the past and constipation are not related to each other. Constipation and foul smelling gas is probably an isolated problem.

The foul smell is usually due to constipation. Large and obstructed feces absorb water from the gut and this becomes heaven for the bacteria to grow. These bacteria produces gases like sulphur di oxide, hydrogen sulphide, etc., which are the actual causes of foul smelling gas.

So in your case, the best treatment would be to treat constipation.

You can follow these measures to treat constipation:
1. Laxatives like Lactulose 15ml in the night for 5 days, after consulting your doctor.
2. Prebiotics and probiotics would help in regrowth of normal flora of the gut which would help in curbing the pathological bacteria.
3. Consume lots of fluids like water and fruit juices(3 to 4 litres/day).
4. Consume high fibre diet like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables and fruits, as this would help in improving the motility of the gut.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you good health.