What is the remedy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome?

I have previously diagnosed symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Recently i am transferred to Delhi, and it has increased much. The water here is very very hard. Suddenly at any spur of the moment my stomach pains and I have to rush to the nearest bathroom. The stool is fine, except that the urge to go comes whenever it feels like and the no. of times is more. There is flatulence and stomach makes sound during empty. I smoke but maximum 3 per day.
Ambarish Sanyal
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 1 hour later

I suggest you to quit smoking completely.

symptoms might not be related to water.

Some people with IBS are likely to have food intolerances like fructose and lactose,
but intolerance to the type of water is not stated.

You can use anti spasmodics to relieve cramps and diarhhoea.

You can also go for psychotherapy. Cognitive behavioural therapy and hypnosis have been found to be most beneficial.

You can also go for probiotics, wherein the helpful bacteria of intestinal tract is increased.

Yoga may be effective for some sufferers.

Especially the poses that exercise the lower abdomen.

Suryanamaskar also helps in better energy circulation and hence may relieve stress resulting in the improvement of the situation.

I suggest you to follow a multi-modality approach for this condition.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you good health.I will be available for further concerns.