What is the relationship between estrogen, menopause and osteoporosis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
There is a direct relationship between the lack of estrogen after menopause and the development of osteoporosis. After menopause, bone resorption (breakdown) outpaces the building of new bone. Early menopause (before age 45) and any prolonged periods in which hormone levels are low and menstrual periods are absent or infrequent can cause loss of bone mass. Estrogen is a protective hormone which decreases the bone resorption and thus helps in maintaining the strength of bones prior to menopause.
A bone mineral density is the best test for an early diagnosis.
Treatment involves calcium and vitamin D3 supplements, estrogen supplements or good health.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: What is the relationship between estrogen, menopause and osteoporosis? 4 hours later
Thank you so much for your answer. I am wondering is osteoporosis something that can be completely avoided, or is it simply part of the aging process?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 49 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Osteoporosis is a part of aging process and there are gradual irreversible degenerative changes in the bones. You can only delay the onset and retard the progression by taking calcium and vitamin D3 supplements, estrogen supplements and regular aerobic exercises.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.