What is the red ring around my ankle sore?

General Surgeon
I have a sore on my ankle that won't heal. it is kind of white with a red ring around it. thanks. YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sun, 12 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Veins insufficiency. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Can you please attach a photo of this sore so I can give more accurate answer? Such sore on the ankle which does not heal is usually caused by veins insufficiency. The main symptom of such vein problem are varices, leg swelling especially when standing for a long time. Due to impeded blood circulation the tissues does not get enough of oxygen. This leads to its easy wounding and is hard to heal. I suggest you to have your veins checked with Dopplers ultrasound. In case of insufficiency, surgery should be considered. You should also start wearing compression tights and elevate your leg when lying down. Please also ask your doctor to check your blood sugar level. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.